Following Microsoft's launch event for Visual Studio 2008, Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 we are having our own 'launch' event in Newcastle with a strong Developer bias. We are very pleased to welcome from Black Marble, Richard Fennell and Rik Hepworth, who will be joined by Iain Angus.
This evening will be content and swag packed so please arrive between 18:00 and 18:30 for a prompt 18:30 start. The event agenda is as follows:
18:30 Start - Windows Server 2008 - Rik Hepworth
What’s new in Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008--in addition to incorporating new capabilities and enhancements to existing features--includes a number of improvements in the core OS that enhance the Operating System’s capabilities; such as features aimed at increasing the ability of Windows Server 2008 to support highly critical workloads by improving operational reliability, reducing system failures, and easing management. We will also discuss improvements in other related elements of the platform that help Windows based systems and services move an organization's IT Department forward.
Virtualisation and infrastructure
The new Windows Server Virtualisation technology, Hyper-V, and Presentation Virtualisation technologies like Terminal Services RemoteApp are core features in Windows Server 2008. This session will provide you with an overview of virtualisation in Windows Server 2008: the scenarios, features, and benefits that make server virtualisation important. Virtualisation management is becoming a critical tool for improving overall manageability for the IT environment; join us in this session to learn how Hyper-V and our management technologies build a strong flexible platform and improve overall manageability.
Securing your IT infrastructure with Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 offers rich capabilities for securing your IT Infrastructure and proving tools to ease with compliance mandates. This session will discuss the Windows security and compliance features such as Network Access Protection, Right Management Services, Active Directory Federation Service subsystem, why auditing is important and how to configure an audit policy in the updated Windows Server 2008 event subsystem.
19:20 SQL Server 2008 - Your Data, Anytime, Any Place - Iain Angus
The new version of SQL Server offers a host of new features and enhancements that promise to improve performance, increase security, and make life easier and more straightforward for database administrators and developers. This talk will give an overview of the new manageability improvements in SQL Server 2008 that enable you to administer, monitor and maintain your data platform infrastructure while reducing the time and cost of management, as well as covering the TSQL enhancements and reporting features in SQL Server 2008.
20:05 Break and Refreshments
20:20 Visual Studio 2008 - Richard Fennell
- Utilize data from any data source more smoothly with LINQ, a set of language extensions to VB and C#
Craft Web applications more easily with an improved design surface
- Ensure application correctness more easily with integrated unit testing
- Develop rich Web experiences with Visual Studio, ASP.NET AJAX and Silverlight
- Create stunning new user experiences incorporating media and vector graphics using Windows Presentation Foundation.
- Build Office Business Applications that are reliable, scalable and easy to maintain.
- Develop Windows Mobile applications with a great developer and end user experience.
- Connect applications, users and processes more easily with Windows Communication Foundation and Windows Workflow Foundation
- Collaborate and communicate more effectively across the team, ensure software quality and to provide visibility into the development process with Visual Studio Team System.
21:05 Swag Giveaway!!!
Location: The Castlegate, Melbourne Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 2JQ - http://www.thecastlegate.co.uk/
To register visit - http://www.vbug.com/Events/April-2008/VBUG-Newcastle-Heroes-Happen-Here--VS08-SQL08-Server08-Launch-Event.aspx